You can access Main Menu Manager through Menus > Main Menu. You can see the Main Menu Manager picture as in the picture 3.29. In that list, you will see menu items that get in the Main Menu. It also has the same order as the Main Menu. Main Menu that is in the front page is located in the upper left (Picture 3.30).
Beneath are the explanations of toolbar in the Main Menu Manager:
– Default Icon: The menu item that is signed with the yellow star shows as the front page in the time of the visitor accesses your site. By default, this icon is located in the Home menu item. But you can decide another menu item that will become front page. You can do this by clicking checkbox in front of the item-s name in the menu item list. Then, click Default Icon in toolbar.
– Publish/Unpublish Icon: You can decide which item that will be published and which one is not. It is easy to change the menu item status. You only have to choose by giving the checkbox sign in front of the menu item-s name. Then, click Publish Icon to publish it. Otherwise, click Unpublish Icon to hide it.
– Move Icon: You can move the menu item from one menu into another menu. It is the easiest way. You only have to click checkbox of the menu item that you want to move. Then click Move Icon. You will get the page appearance as in the picture 3.31. There is menu list in the left part of that page. Choose one of those menus. Move the menu item by clicking Move Icon. Now, your menu item already moves into the new menu.
– Copy Icon: You can copy one or more menu item in order to put it into another menu. The process is almost the same with moving the menu item but you have to click Copy Icon in this process. The menu item is not gone from the real menu because the menu has been only copied.
– Trash Icon: If you want to delete the menu item, you can choose the menu item then click Trash Icon.
Actually, the menu item is not deleted directly but you can still access it through Menus > Trash Menu. This is an intentional process so that it can protect you from the unintentional deleting. You can still do the restore process of the menu that enters into the Trash Menu.
– Edit Icon: By using this icon, you can edit the menu item. After choosing the menu item and click the Edit Icon, you will face into the menu editing page as you can see in the picture 3.32. This picture shows the menu item of the web link that will be edited.
In the menu edit page, there are some parts that you should know:
Note: the parameter in the picture 3.33 is not applied for the entire menus item. It depends with the type of the menu item. Picture 3.33 shows the condition for the category web link type.
Item Menu Type
Every menu item always refers to the menu type. As you can see in the picture 3.33 that the menu type consist of several menu type such as internal links, external links, separator, and alias. You can change these types by clicking the Change Type button. After clicking the button, you will get the page as in the picture 3.34. You can choose/change by clicking a link in each type.
Menu Item Details
Here are the options in the Menu Item Details:
– ID: Every menu item has their identity number (ID). This number cannot be changed. Joomla! makes it for you.
– Title: The name of the menu item. This name that will be shown in menu.
– Alias: The alias name that will be used as a link.
– Link: This is an URL that will be represented by this menu item. For example, the link for web link category is index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=categories.
– Display in: Choose which one of the menu that will be shown of this menu item.
– Parent item: The Joomla! menu can be made like a tree. Thus, you can choose the parent from the menu item.
– Published: Whether the menu will be publicated or concealed.
– Order: You can choose this menu item that will be put after the same menu item.
– Access Level: The level access that is allowed to see/to access this menu item.
– On Click, Open in: You will be asked to decide, if you click this, the arises page can be Parent Window with Browser Navigation, New Window with Browser Navigation, or New Window without Browser Navigation.
As is the item menu type, the fields in this area are the same as for all of the menu types. The fields that are not the same is the menu item parameter. This parameter depends from the menu type.
Menu Item Parameter
As I already said before that this parameter depends from the menu item types. Next, I will give the example of the web link type.
The upper area of the parameter is Parameter – Basic. The options of this parameter are:
– Image: Choose the picture from the list which will be shown in the web link page.
– Image Align: Choose the picture placement, if there is a chosen picture, whether it is placed in right or left.
– Show a Feed Link: Show feed link or not.
The next area is Parameter – Component. Here are the options of the parameter:
– Description: The confirmation whether you want to show the description about the web link category or not.
– Web Links Introduction: The text that you are written here will be shown under the category overview.
– Hits: If you choose show, then the hit amount will be shown for each web link.
– Link Description: Confirmation whether you want to show the link explanation or not.
– Other Categories: Confirmation whether you want to show the web link category or not.
– Table Headings: Confirmation whether you want to show header from table or not.
– Target: The target browser choises when the link is clicked.
– Icon: The icon that is used in the left part of link in the table.
Last, here are the options of Parameter – System:
– Page Title: The text that is publicated as the page title. If you do not fill this, then the menu item title will be used.
– Show the Page Title: Whether you will publicate the page title or not.
– Page Class Suffix: It is related with the using of CSS. You can write the text in here, such as weblink_menuitems. This label will become the class name in the HTML code later and you can use it to modify the CSS appearance.
– Menu Image: The picture that will be placed in the left side. The picture is taken from the picture list in the images/stories.
– SSL Enabled: Choose whether the link will use SSL or Secure Site URL.